The Panay Landing Memorial marks spot where American troops landed on March 18, 1945 on the beaches of Parara, Tigbauan to begin the liberation of Panay Island. The Japanese garrison on Panay was only 2000 to 2350 soldiers. American soldiers came ashore to be greeted by Philippine guerrillas “stiff in starched khaki and resplendent in ornaments.” By the time American troops landed, the well-organized resistance fighters were in control of most of the island.
The American 40th Division expanded the beachhead rapidly and ran into no serious resistance until it approached the outskirts of Iloilo City. On March 20th the troops entered Iloilo City and not one Japanese was found.
Source: History of United States Naval Operations in World War II Vol. XII.
The monument is just off the National Highway in Parara, west of Tigbauan proper.