Inverter Air Conditioners – we give up on inverters and on Samsung

Share the joy
  • 1.9K
  • 2
  • 4

Inverter air conditioning units may be a bad choice for many in the Philippines and other tropical locations, but you won’t hear that from air conditioning salesperson or in the glowing advertisements for them.
Inverter units are highly promoted, cost a great deal more than conventional units, but supposedly save enough money to easily repay the extra cost in months. There are a number of problems with this rosy view of inverter air conditioners.

Our Samsung Inverter. Energy efficient but prone to costly repairs.

Our Samsung Inverter. Energy efficient but prone to costly repairs.

Inverter units use advanced technology involving more electronics, higher refrigerant pressures, higher voltages and more complexity. A conventional air conditioning unit runs pretty much like a refrigerator. When cooling is needed, the simple AC current compressor runs until the room is cool and then shuts off, recycling as needed to cool the room. It’s not unusual for conventional units to run a decade or more with only routine cleaning. Alternating current is what you get from your wall outlets.
Inverter air conditioners use compressors running on DC current. The DC compressors don’t cycle on and off, they are able to just slow down as the room is cool and speed up if more cooling is needed. Conventional compressors use extra electricity when cycling on and off, inverter units don’t. An oversize conventional unit is the worst choice, as it has to cycle off and on frequently. An undersized conventional unit can run more continuously and can actually be more efficient than an inverter unit. The inverter units use extra electricity to convert the power supply from AC to DC.

Typical advertisement for an inverter air conditioner.

Typical advertisement for an inverter air conditioner.

The money saving scenarios presented in the inverter brochures should not be taken at face value. One brochure in front of us claims 50% savings for the inverter unit. It compares a conventional 1.5HP unit to a 1.5HP inverter. It assumes a room area of 16.5 meters. This is the first problem. We feel a 1.5HP conventional unit is too large for a 16.6 sq meter room. A 1HP conventional unit would run much more efficiently than a 1.5HP conventional unit and possibly as efficiently the bigger inverter unit.
But the dirty secret about with inverter units in the Philippines and other tropical places is increased repair costs and reduced longevity. Conventional air conditioners often run for decades. Our 1.5HP Samsung inverter is just shy of five years old. So far it has blown out two main circuit boards because lizards crept into the high power main circuit board in the outdoor unit. This incinerated the poor lizard and the circuit board. Each board cost P7,000 ($155) to replace. In other cases ants and mice have blown boards. If you live near the ocean, salt air can corrode the boards. This is a wide spread problem that you are not going to learn about from the salesmen, but ask the service personnel, and you’ll get the real story.

Conventional air conditioners do not have these high power, lizard electrocuting, self-destructing boards.  We had a visit from a friend from Australia.  They have exactly the same problems with geckos shorting out inverter units.  We have also read similar reports from Thailand.  The Australian friend concluded that inverter units are just not suitable for use there.  We have come to feel the same way regarding rural or suburban areas in the Philippines.  Non-inverter units are no longer sold in Australia due to government regulations intended to save electricity.  It’s our understanding that governments and utility companies like inverter units because their power consumption is more even, whereas conventional units impose significant loads when the compressor cycles on.  Any electric motor uses much more current to start up than it does when it is running.  That’s why an undersized conventional unit uses less electricity.  It mostly is running rather than cycling on and off.   Conventional units are still sold in the Philippines.

A small lizard destroyed this $160 Samsung circuit board - TWICE

A small lizard destroyed this $160 Samsung circuit board – TWICE

In the meantime the conventional Samsung 1HP unit we installed in our guest bedroom purrs along with no repairs at all. The Samsung Inverter cost P11,000 more than the conventional unit, repairs to the inverter unit (so far) P14,000.
So, in our view you pay considerably more for the inverter when you buy it, it might or might not use less electricity but these savings are offset by high repair costs.
Manufacturers are aware of these circuit board problems. We have read that Panasonic and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are silicone coating their exterior circuit boards. Maybe this will help. Time will tell.
Now if you live in a place with no lizards, mice and ants, maybe the 20th floor of a Makati condo, an inverter might be the best choice. In fact inverters may be a good choice in many urban locations. If expensive repairs are not needed, they can save money. If you live in a suburban or rural area with some greenery, think twice before choosing an inverter unit. You heard it here. You’ll never hear it from a salesperson.
Here is the perspective of one recycler of air conditioning units on inverter air conditioners. Video about inverter air conditioners  There is also many accounts and opinions on the Whirlpool Forums forum. Spending some time in these forums will give you a sense of the problems ordinary users have with their air conditioning units.

While the salesmen and manufacturers promote inverter units and fail to tell the customer about the problems, don’t bother to ask them to repair the units under warranty after the first year.  Your gecko problem is your gecko problem and you pay for repairs.  In other words, you were a fool to buy such a unit in an area populated by geckos.  That is basically what Samsung has told us.

daikin

Samsung removed, Daikin being installed

New Daikin Split Air Con Unit

New Daikin Split Air Con Unit

In the end we were forced to remove our Samsung inverter with a Daikin conventional unit. This is a steep financial loss, but it was a chance to test a theory of mine.  After thought and research, I hypothesized that a top quality “undersized” conventional unit is the best choice for us.  The Daikin 1 HP FTJ10JXVL9  we installed is rated at 9,500 kJ/h, about 2,000 kJ/h less that the Samsung we removed.  Our bedroom is about 25 square meters. It definitely will not meet the standard promoted my the manufacturers who want you to install an expensive 1.5 or 2.0 HP inverter unit for this size room based on 35C outside temperature. The Daikin was installed on a hot day and definitely ran continuously and cooled the room to an acceptable temperature. Running continuously is highly efficient (the compressor is never cycling on and off) and does a good job of dehumidification.  Our actual use is air con when we sleep.  When we go to bed, both the inside and outside air temperatures are well lower than those proposed by the air con manufacturers. Therefore the 1 HP Daikin will be more than adequate.  The Daikin has a rated cooling efficiency of 10.70 kJ/h.W, nearly as good as the inverter unit it is replacing.

So this is how we are saving money.  Our Daikin cost about P25,000 installed.  A 1.5 or 2HP inverter from one of the major brands would have cost at least P15,000 more, installed.  The Daikin will run for years or maybe decades without significant repairs because of its mechanical and electrical simplicity.  Our Samsung required nearly P6,000 in repairs per year.

We are very disappointed with Samsung, for selling us a unit unsuited to our gecko-infested rural area and then being unwilling to make repairs except at our full expense.

We bought two Samsung split air conditioners in 2011.  The Samsung Inverter has been nothing but trouble, but to be fair the 1HP non-inverter Samsung split we bought at the same time has been excellent.  It is made in China.  The outdoor unit is of sturdy plastic, not susceptible to rusting as the steel casings are.  The condenser fins have resisted corrosion better than the inverter unit even though the conventional unit is more exposed to salt air than is the inverter.  It’s a well-built trouble free unit.

Daikin is a Japanese company with an excellent reputation, but its air conditioners are made in various countries. Our Daikin was made in Malaysia.  We also feel Panasonic makes quality air conditioners but in the one horsepower conventional category the Daikin offered 500 kJ/h more cooling and more cooling per Watt.

Comments (213) Write a comment

1. hi Bob and Carol
    i’m planing to buy a HITACHI Royal split type ac with full DC inverter 1.5hp have a 15.5 eer in a 25sm the sale man say that it is much beter compere to single inverter bco’s its 3inverter in 1 and the chip wont have much problem because it is sync with the dc fan moter, dc comp ,dc inverter module. or should i just go with a conventional? and is hitachi brand ok or good? anyone who have a hitachi ac can give me a feed back pls on the brand. i dont see any post or coment about hitachi. or should i just go for Panasonic Inverter or a daikin conventional unit

• Our choice was the non-inverter split aircons. Inverters have their plusses and their problems. I am sure the inverters will be perfected. I am not convinced that day has arrived yet.

• I emailed Panasonic in the Philippines about aircons and lizards. Here is there response. We are leaning towards the new Panasonics as they are advertising good prices with installation.

Good day!

Please refer to below technical information for your reference.

1. The outdoor unit, which the PCB is located has a casing.

2. It has also a protective cover for insects, ants, lizards etc.

3. It has also a silicon cover to protect the board from moisture/ dew formation.

Melissa G. Domingo

Panasonic Customer Care Center

TCAP

• Barry,

Thanks for this. Panasonic says, “At the same time, it is best to check the location of the outdoor unit so that it would not be infested by insects, lizards etc.” Since there are few such locations in the Philippines, Panasonic more or less admits there is a problem with inverters and “insects, ants, lizards etc.”

2. Hi Bob and Carol,

I desperately need your help please.

Our old office is currently being renovated, and we are properly sealing it.
    The entire rectangular space is approx 18sqm, with 1 ceiling fan, and we have 2 back up desk fans. There are 2 desktop computers and 2 printers, 2 LED light bulbs, and 3-4 persons occupying the space. The ceiling height is approx 9 feet high.
    Our frontage is a glass door, approx 3 meters, with some posters stuck on the glass, dual purpose advertisement/sunshade.

Our electric bill is currently sky high and we need to replace our super old (think late 90’s) carrier window type a/c. I think it’s a 2.5hp one since it looks so big, I have no idea.

Can you recommend what hp a/c we need? Will 1hp be enough or do I need 1.5hp?
    Do you think we can just go with a conventional window type instead of converter?
    We only switch it on from 9am to 5pm.
    I am hesitant to ask salesmen because they always upsell.

Thank you for your help.

• Take this advice at your own risk. Normally for an 18SM space, we’d suggest 1HP but you have three people working there plus possibly customers, so 1.5HP? We don’t have any experience with window units. Have you tried giving your existing unit a thorough cleaning and checkup? If you can afford it and are convinced you won’t have lizard problems, a 2HP split inverter should be able to cool off your space quickly and then spool down to keep it cool without too much expense. I suggest a Daikin or Panasonic. If economy is foremost, perhaps a 1.5HP conventional window unit to replace your existing Carrier. Good luck.

3. Hi Bob and Carol,

What would you suggest for a 35sqm studio unit on the 14th, 15th floor of Salcedo Village Makati?

Was thinking of going with either 2hp split type inverter or 1.5hp conventional split type? What would you get?

• First I’d confirm the actual square meters to be cooled. Sometimes the marketers of condos exaggerate the size by adding everything they can; measure from exterior walls, add porches and balconies and so forth. Also, is your CR included? If really 35 square meters to be cooled, I’d consider a 2.5HP inverter.

4. We had the same problem with Ghecko, was solved by using a piece of airconditioner filter made by 3m, place that over the circuit board so the gheckos can no longer lay on top of it. Problem solved. If you run on a generator, samsung inverter is a good choice. The sound of the compressor clicking on and off is rather annoying at night time. I know you miss that smooth quiet samsung now. =)

• June, glad you found a solution. We do not hear our Daiken compressors clicking on or off. I will admit that our old Samsung inverter kept a more constant temperature because it was almost always running. But NO, I do not miss the Samsung at all. In fact we gave it away.

• @ June: I think I mentioned this already in this thread but the biggest problems with inverter boards, besides critters and pests, is heat. Make sure you don’t block any air flow over the parts that make a lot of heat. I got this information from my brother who serviced inverter parts on a power plant.

5. Thanks for sharing this Bob and Carol. I was about to pull out my hair thinking of what to get but you pointed me to the right direction.

6. Thanks for writing this article.

You mentioned that the compressor cycling on/off uses more electricity that the compressor running continuously? That is contrary to what the salespersons telling me that the compressor not running all the time will save electricity…

Have you tested this?

• The main feature of the inverter air conditioner is that its compressor can run at variable speeds depending on the amount of cooling needed. Ideally, the inverter’s DC compressor is running all the time — running fast when it’s hot, and not when it’s not. The compressor in a conventional unit can only be on or off, depending on what the thermostat tells it to do.

7. Thank u.we are victimized by a tiny frog.just used our condura inverter for just a year and that happen.we tried to fix it but it will cost us now like 28k for just the board.im glad i saw ur post.this time ill be smarter.ill let go of fixing and will just buy a new one..

8. We are ready this month to buy more air conditioners. I was all set to continue to buy more Panasonics but read their EER is 9.6 for their 1.5hp non inverter unit. Condura’s 1.5hp unit is 11.1. Someone I know there has a very old Condura window unit that is still going strong and he swears by them. Is the 1.5 EER difference that big a deal? I appreciate all comments.

• It’s hard to say because you don’t know how accurate those EERs are. If the EERs are close, I would not give too much weight to them.

9. Hi! could u please help me on deciding what air conditioner unit should I buy (brand and size; inverter or non iverter) coz I’m planning to buy an air conditioner for my living room/dining area, size is 39sqm. salesman is suggesting I get 3tr kolin. But I feel like a 3tr unit is a bit oversized for the area. Will a 3hp split-type inverter kolin be enough?
    thank you!

• Jon, there are so many variables to consider. Have you tried using the Australian estimator. We have a room of about that size — our kitchen/dining/living room. We have a 2HP Daikin non-inverter unit. It does the job.

10. Hi.. im confused what to buy between Mitsubishi and Carrier 1.5HP inverter aircon unit..for a 25 sq.m. room, please advised
    Thanks
    Ante

• It’s very difficult to give advice without more details, but I’d stay away from inverter units for now.

11. Hi. I’ve read most of the comments here and now i’m confused on what to buy for my 20sqm bedroom. It has a window type samsung ac running for 3 years- no problems so far but I’m planning of moving it to another room. Thus I need a new one.

I’ll hold off on the inverter type. Should i stick to the conventional w-type to avoid the lizard-ants problem (i live in a rural area) or get a w-type inverter. Is that also affected by the infestation? 🙂 or just the conventional
    Split type. Please help me decide. Thanks 🙂

• My choice would be the non-inverter split. I assume the new windows type inverters may suffer from the same problems as any inverter unit.

12. Hi Bob and carol
    I am living in Western India where temperature in summer rises up to 48 degree centigrade and winter goes to low upto 5 to 10 degree centigrade am planning to move in new apartment it’s on 1st floor with room size 12×12 and living dinning and kitchen is 18×26 approx its a five floor apartment it will be helpful if you could suggest me good ac for the new place as per Indian climatic conditions and am even more confused to go for inverter or non inverter ac

• Inverter air conditioners are much more complex than conventional units. Over time the manufacturers will perfect inverters but for now we consider them trouble prone. You will need a unit which offers both cooling and heating. There are just too many variables to recommend a specific capacity.

13. we bought an LG inverter 1hp less than 3 years ago and we gave up on it. meanwhile my carrier window type non inverter thats 4 years old is still making us use thick blankets at night. we had repairs and service here on an every other month visit that they have stopped taking my calls. what a huge waste of money.

14. Omg, just bought a 3HP kolin split type inverter for our living room/dining area. Praying I don’t experience this.

• I used to dream of buying a house in Baguio and migrating there to run away from the extreme heat in our city. But that just isn’t feasible because 1, my work is here and 2, it is not that easy to buy a house in baguio. First, you have to have money. You see, I used to have a conventional 1.5hp ac which we only used for about 12 to 15 hours a day and our electric bill was about 11.5k per month. 2 years ago I replaced it with a 1.5hp samsung premium inverter unit which we run 24/7. Our electric bill came down to 7.5k to 8.5k per month. I was also discouraged from buying an inverter ac. I was told that inverter airconditioners are expensive to maintain. But so far so good. In a span of 2 years now, considering the 3k per month I save on electricity monthly, I already have saved 72k (and still saving more monthly). I bought my samsung ac from lazada for 28k + 7k installation (it was on promo), with 10 years warranty on compressor. If my samsung ac breaks down now, i have already saved enough to buy 2 units. So I say go ahead and buy a premium inverter ac. Last year I bought 3 more inverter AC’s (Kopel super inverter II this time). 1 for my kids’ room (we used to all sleep in 1 room to save on elactricity), 1 for my kitchen and 1 for my living room. My electric bill now is 12.5k per month on average. That is only 1k higher than when I ran only 1 conventional ac in just 1 room which I didn’t even run all day. Now we enjoy the comfort of having a home with ac in every room for just an additional cost of only 1k per month (we turn off the ac’s in our kitchen and living room during bedtime). Sure beats the idea of buying a house in baguio to migrate and starting over just to live comfortably.
      With regards to the lizard and ants problem, may I suggest getting the services of a pest control professonal at least once a year to get rid of your insects problem. I actually do this because of a termite problem we had. I was told that our home is prone to termite infestation because of the fact that behind our wall is a forest (about 30 has. of unused land full of big trees). Apparently, termite poison kills ants too and spiders and all other insects. Lizards and frogs eat insects. I’m guessing without insects, your lizards and frogs will leave your home. You can charge the pest control cost from your savings from your electric bill because of your inverter ac’s. This might even help prolong the life of your inverter ac’s.

• Thanks for your feedback. The only thing I wonder about is your spending 11.5K per month for one 1.5HP AC unit. I have never had a bill that large and we have two 1HP ond one 2HP non-inverter splits plus a big ref, a freezer, security system and security lights.

15. Hi Bob, update, carrier 1hp non inverter now been running over 6 months, its on 27-28 degrees every evening until morning 18 sq meter room, no electric fans in house, running usual tv/lights/water pump etc. bills have not gone over 1500php. looking at buying exact unit for other bedroom, fantastic unit no issues so far!!!!

• Jimmy, glad it has worked out for you. We have three non-inverter units so our bill is higher, but I am always amazed at how low it is. The Daikin unit in our bedroom runs almost 24/7. Bob and Carol

• 27 to 28 degrees? Isn’t that a bit too warm? 24 degrees is reasonable. Although I set mine at 21 degrees. With all due respect sir.

• People have different temperature preferences. When we were staying in a Saigon hotel we had down comforters (duvets) and I admit we kept the temperature lower.

16. Thank you very much for your information. You hit the nail on the head. we give up on Samsung and want to throw all our 4 air conditioning units away. To think we bought all in good faith trusting the brand and their claim to be environment friendly. We will never buy any Samsung product ever again .

17. I have been here reading for a few years even before we started building a house in rural Pampanga. Many topics I have read several times. Aircons has been one of them. Your posts have convinced me to go with non inverter units of either Daikin or Pansonic. My problem right now is the size of the aircons. The room we are buying for is 24 square meters. From your posts it seems to me a 1hp unit would be best. However everyone else wants me to go with a 1.5hp and that includes our foreman, my wife and every salesman she talks to.

Here are the bedroom sizes and would like all learned opinions on what others would do. BR1 is what we are looking at right now. The house will be insulated well with PU foam in the roof, celluose in the ceiling, low-e glass in the windows and most of the outer walls will have EIFS (external insulation finishing system).

Master bedroom: 44.66 sq m.
    BR #1: 23.75 sq m.
    BR #2: 22.79 sq. M.
    BR #3: 20.52 sq. M.
    BR #4: 20.42 sq. M.
    BR #5: 14.57 sq. M.

My online research has lead me to believe that a 1hp 9000 BTU non inverter unit will work well for all of the bedrooms except the master.

As info I have talked to companies about a whole house aircon plan using multi splits. I did not get good quotes being a foreigner talking to them on the internet. One company selling solar hybrid aircons quoted me 1.3 million pesos to install a system. Mr. Aircon wanted to install some high tech system that was almost as much. Buying units room by room as we finish the house looks like the only way to go.

What would you do Bob and Carol? Others?

• My wife went ahead and bought a 1.5hp non inverter Panasonic split aircon. They are staying in the new house part time and wanted to get it installed before Holy Week. As info the sales people were all pushing for her to get a 2.5hp unit for a 24 square meter room. I’ve got more aircons to buy so would appreciate any experienced advice. The house is 450 square meters.

• Of course there are so many variables, but I can’t imagine a 2.5 HP in a 25 SM room. They like to sell oversize units because they earn more on them and they will never get a complaint about the room not being cool enough.

• Per my wife who is there the 1.5hp non inverter Panasonic is cooling the room fine. I had my wife ask the installers if the inverter lizard problem has been rectified and they said nothing has changed. They recommend buying non inverter units and Panasonic was their first choice. However they installed for Abenson’s who does not sell Daikin.

A website from Australia on air conditioners if anyone is interested.

• Hi Barry, (& Bob & Carol)

A link to Panasonic website:-

9150kJ/hr – 1.0hp 14-18m2 WCONC010EC

Carrier
      5100kJ/hr – 0.5hp <10m2 WCARY06EC
      7000kJ/hr – 0.75hp 10-14m2 WCARY08EC
      9000kJ/hr – 1.0hp 14-17m2 WCARY10EC

The above are suggesting 9000kJ/hr for about 14 – 16m2

From the EnergyStar figures in the link below and my experience would suggest 9000kJ/hr is adequate for perhaps 30m2 and more.

kJ/hr BTU ft2 m2
      22150 21000 1200 111.5
      24260 23000 1400 130.1
      25320 24000 1500 139.4
      31650 30000 2000 185.8
      35870 34000 2500 232.3

Note the suggested variations in section 3 of the web site

The greatest variation in power use is whether we have a bright sunny day or overcast. My TOTAL electric use can vary from 11kWhr – 22kWhr per day. I am running Panasonic Inverter split units CS-S9SKQ 1HP [CU-S9SKQ] 24/7 set at 28.5 – 30^C on "dry" mode.

Total electric includes a/c's, fridge, freezer, TV, shower, lights, fans and computers.

The last 3 months usages are 498, 415 and 513kWhr. They are now run 24/7 to avoid mould. One is cooling 10m2 the other 30 m2. I will be having the next a/c cleaning after 3 months. Four months was too long there was considerable build up on the indoor unit fans.

I live in a house completed last year, 2.4m to eaves which provide 0.9m shading. The walls are 100mm (4inch) poured "reinforced" concrete. The rebars are at 400mm centres this would not meet UK requirements to be classified as "reinforced" concrete. The roof is steel sheeting with 5mm double sided foil foam insulation.

The CS-S9SKQ 1HP [CU-S9SKQ] cooling can vary from 3020 – 11520 kJ/hr

I would tend to agree with you the 9000BTU/ 9500kJ/hr will be adequate for all except the master. Depending on the cooling capacity increments do you or don't you step up to the next size up for the master? 12000BTU/ 12660kJ/hr. I hope there is some additional information that you haven't seen before and may be of use. Good luck in staying cool.

• We bought our Daikin 1HP over the Panasonic 1HP because the Daikin is rated at 9,500 kJ/hr.

I feel that the “kJ/hr BTU ft2 m2” chart is a bit over-optimistic for the typical Philippine residence. That is that it understates the cooling power needed.

We bought the 2HP Daikin for our kitchen/living room. I am embarrassed to say that the reason is that the 2HP is that it is a heavy well-built piece of gear compared to the 1.5HP Daikin which seems more like a souped-up 1HP unit.

• I wanted to add that we took your advice and tried to buy the Daikin but the only retailer I could find, Mr. Aircon, haggled on the price of installation. My wife didn’t like dealing with them so she went to Abenson’s and got the Panasonic. They don’t sell Daikin.

unquote

I think you are correct too. I could have gotten away with the 1hp unit for a 24 square meter room. But now I know I can use 1hp units in all of the other bedrooms except the master bedroom. The master bedroom is 45 square meters and per the energystar.gov guidelines above a 1.5hp may work in it. But as Bob and Carol posted the 2.0hp Daikin was a much better unit than the 1.5hp.

I will make sure our foreman has the energystar.gov guidelines you posted above for the rest of the house keeping in mind Bob and Carol’s post that it may be a bit optimistic for the Philippines climate. Thanks for posting. Be cool.

• I thought I replied with a thank you awhile ago but I guess I didn’t. Thanking your now for taking the time and posting Willem.

• Hi Barry,
          Thank you for the thank you.

This wonderful site of Bob and Carol’s has helped quite a few. Anything that I can add that hopefully may help others I do. Hope the Panasonic units are cooling to your satisfaction.

• “Dry” mode has always been a mystery to me. I’ve been using a 1.5hp panasonic inverter for the past 8-10 years (no problem that I recall except once which cost me not even 1k to repair; room size – 22sqm; usual temp 22C-23C) but up to now I really don’t know when or why I should use “dry” mode. Could you please explain when I should be using dry mode or for what purpose? Also, your 28.5C-30C temp setting, isn’t that way too warm? Why do you use the dry mode for that temp setting?

• The air conditioner I used with the dry mode works to just dry the air without changing the temperature drastically. Think of it like a cold drink sitting on the table. The moisture in the air condenses on the side of the glass as time goes by. Dry mode works similar to that. Dry air usually feels much better that wet air. Dry mode, they say, uses about half the power so it can save you money if you just use the dry mode and maybe a fan on the cool days.

• Thanks. The analogy makes sense with how I feel when I use dry mode, comfortable but less cool as compared to standard/cool mode at the same temp setting.

• They say a conventional ac consumes more electeicity because it turns on and off. They say it is when the compressor turns on at full speed that it uses the most electeicity. Thus the theory of bob and carol, get an undersized ac to keep the compressor running all the time. This seems to make sense. But if you really think about it, with this theory, you keep your compressor running at full speed all the time. Won’t that consume more electricity as compared to a premium inverter unit with a compressor with variable speed (runs slow when it hits its target temp)? Just a thought.

• Our 1 HP unit uses 450 Watts when the compressor is running all the time. It does NOT run all the time except on hot days. When its compressor is not running, maybe it uses 20 Watts. A 2HP inverter in the same room would spin down nicely. But the purchase price would be at least twice as much ands might well be fried by a two-bit butiki! I just checked the specs on a Panasonic 2HP inverter. At lowest speed it uses 290W, at highest 1,680W. That’s why the comparisons are so tricky.

18. wow thanks Im about to buy a new one. and definately from the area of where you can see lizard around the clock, so I’ll definately give Panasonic Inverter a try and not the other brand. -from Malaysia.

19. Hello,

Does anybody have any experience or feedback regarding MITSUBISHI SPLIT TYPE A/C?

Thank!

20. I was just at an appliance store earlier to reserve an oversized inverter unit for our music room.. I planned to get a 2.5hp airconditioner for a 30sqm room. After reading your review, I felt I made a double whammy.. Oversized Inverter! 🙂 Guess I’ll have to release that reservation now… Thank you for sharing your review.

21. Hello. My name is George and today I just made a reservation to buy a 2HP Samsung Inverter split type aircon. The salesman said they are having a sale up to the end of Feb2017. The price difference between the 1.5HP and the 2.0Hp is only P160, so I opted for the bigger size (bigger is better??) If I follow your logic, then I should go for 1.5HP, or maybe even 1.0Hp for a 20sqm room. I’m planning to also replace the window-type aircons in the other rooms (which, by the way, are all more than 15 years old but still functional). I think I shall have to hold off on that reservation. Thanks for your review.

• Not so with inverters. Conventional units must be properly sized, but with inverter units too big is ok as they have the ability to run at slower speeds. So, for a 20SM room a 1HP conventional might be fine but a two HP inverter unit also fine.

• Hello. . My advise for you is not to buy any Samsung Airconditioning units. I have been using Daikin 2.0 HP smart elite and my surprise, my bill has just increased by around 300 pesos by running it 8 hrs a day.

22. Hi Bob and Carol 8 M-Readers

Very Informative! After read your post on gecko story. My mini green eyed feeling subsided over a fellow of mine showcases their upgrade. 2 units SAMSUNG Spl-type inverter, bragging right of 60% E* savings. They had 2k pesos M- billing on 20h continous running of same’.

Im planning to buy a window type aircon for our living room, lobby area and wine counter area/lavatory kitchen. Its 52sqm area. I prefered that W-type cause I already had hole in the wall from old ones(nat’l). Thus, hard to find panasonic W-type invert. Im in dilemma between inverter Spl-type w/ 5K installation or conventional W-type w/o fee of panasonic 2.5hp AC?

Any suggestions may learned others ; )

Mic n Pnoy

23. Hi Bob and Carol 8 M-Readers

Very Informative! After read your post on gecko story. My mini green eyed feeling subsided over a fellow showcases their upgrades. 2 units SAMSUNG Spl-type inverter, bragging right of 60% E* savings. They had 2k pesos M- billing on 24/7 continous running of same’.

Any suggestions may learned others ; )

Mic n Pnoy

24. Hi!
    What a helpful site. My 1.5HP Kolin inverter AC gave up after almost 3yrs of service. Glad I saw this thread to help us decide what AC to buy. 🙂

• Hey Anne! I was thinking of buying a Kolin 1 hp inverter aircon as well, so I’d like to know how frequent you’ve been using yours. Like how many hours per day is it turned on? Just asking so I could get an estimation of how long the unit I’d buy would last for considering my intended hours of usage per day. Thanks!

• Oh and one more thing, what was the design of the AC you got from Kolin? Was it split type or window?

25. Hi Bob and Carol

I have a samsung 1.5hp inverter cooling a 25sqm room for almost 6 years now and ive spent much on maintenance cleaning and part replacement and now as ive read on your post the circuit board needs replacement. I have been thinking of buying Daikin but im a little hesitant of how much would it cost me for the electricity a month as of now im paying 5k+ to 6k/month would it cost the same? Or much higher?

• Electrical consumption is based on so many individual variables it’s hard to be accurate. As we have stated we replaced a 1.5HP Samsung inverter with a 1HP Daikin conventional unit in a 25 SM bedroom. There really does not seem to be any increase in our bill. Our bill varies from about P3,500 to P6,000 but that includes a big refrigerator, a freezer, and an additional 2HP and 1HP air con which are used intermittently. I expect the standard units (all three of ours are standard R22 units) will require less maintenance and repair. In fact, non have required any repair, including 1 1HP Samsung which is six years old.